A fine Grade 1 listed Elizabethan Manor house begun in 1570 of E shaped plan with stepped Flemish gable ends. The brickwork with attractive blue diaper decoration and pin tiled roof standing in 4 acres.The gardens partly walled with an important Grade 2* octagonal dovecote in the grounds. Next to the house stand two imposing Grade 1 listed Tudor barns.The east end room was used by Edward Seago (1910-74) as his first studio and the honeysuckle over the porch was there in his time. There are anti witchcraft symbols and daisy rings. On show is a letter from Agatha Christie to the owner’s late aunt; a note from Snaffles the artist; and letter with sketch sketch by Field Marshall Alexander to the owner’s late cousin; and other interesting items from a family album. The dairy wing is used by the owners as an antique furniture restoration business and tours include a visit to see work in progress.
This is essentially a family house occupied by three generations exuding warmth and hospitality. Tours conducted by the owners include the House, Dovecote and Antique Furniture restoration studio. Freedom of the gardens and grounds and visit to the Church of St. Margaret, Kirstead (located opposite the house) as an independent option.
Tours take about two hours and include tea/coffee biscuits and cakes. Please click here for the dates of guided tours in 2020.