Antique leather campaign library chair attributed to Herbert McNair1868-1955

This rare oak example of a campaign library chair, though essentially Victorian Gothic, has carved floral motifs on the cresting rail suggesting Art Nouveau influence. The decorative steel bosses where the chair folds are an Arts and Crafts feature. The chair dismantles for transport by unscrewing the knob on the chair sides, removing the connecting rod and unbolting the arms. The height is adjusted by lifting the turned knobs and moving them up or down the “U” shaped ratchets. Reupholstered in hand coloured green string printed leather (Moroccan leather).

Height 42.5 inches / 107 cms (as in image)

Width 28 inches/ 71 cms (including finials.)

Depth 31 inches / 79 cms

The property of the late Sir Peter and Lady Osborne (nee Felicity Loxton-Peacock) founder of Osborne and Little the fabric and wall paper firm. Their son George Osborne was the Conservative Chancellor. George’s grandmother was the famous Hungarian artist Clarisse Loxton-Peacock who exhibited at the Sainsbury Centre. Norwich in the late 1990’s.

Herbert Macnair was the brother in law of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Together with their wives were known as “the gang of four.” The design was used by the military as “flat packs” for Campaigns. Baggot Antiques have a colonial example attributed to Herbert MacNair and Christopher Clark Antiques archive contain others.


Please click on an image to expand.